Cleaning Methods for Touchscreens (COVID-19)
These technical instructions describe the recommended cleaning and disinfecting procedure for iDesign Cafe touch products relative to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Included are recommended disinfectant products that are safe for use with iDesign Cafe products and approved by the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Cleaning and disinfecting are two steps. Cleaning removes dirt, grease, dust and other contaminants. Disinfecting is a separate process that uses a chemical designed to destroy bacteria.
Cleaning your Touchscreen
- To prepare for cleaning the touchscreen, power down the device (if possible), or ensure your on-screen software can tolerate false touches while you clean.
- Do not get liquids inside the unit. Do not spray the screen directly. Instead, use wet wipes, a sprayed cloth or a dampened cloth with the excess moisture squeezed off.
- Select only non-abrasive cleaning wipes or cloths to avoid scratching touchscreens.
- Avoid highly concentrated alcohol (> 70%), non-diluted bleach or ammonia solutions, as these may cause discoloration.
- Wipe the surfaces with the appropriate wipes or cloths and approved cleaning products, and allow them to dry.
Disinfecting your Touchscreen Product
- To prepare for disinfecting the touchscreen, power down the device (if possible) or ensure your on-screen software can tolerate false touches while you clean.
- Dampen a new clean, non-abrasive cloth with a disinfectant chosen from the list below. Ensure excess liquid is squeezed from the cloth. You may also use recommended pre-dampened wipes.
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Many manufacturers require the surface to remain wet for a few minutes, so continuous wiping might be required.
- Disinfect the surfaces by wiping them with the cloth or wipe, and allow the surface to dry.
- For disinfectant solutions that are safe for use with iDesign Cafe products, see below.
US CDC-recommended disinfectant solutions safe for iDesign Cafe products
- Household bleach solution (1/3 cup of bleach per gal. of water)
- Isopropyl alcohol (≤ 70% alcohol)
More information from the CDC on disinfecting procedures for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) can be found here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/home/cleaning-disinfection.html
US EPA-recommended disinfectants safe for iDesign Cafe products (including registration number)
||Reg. No. 5813-79|
||Reg. No. 67619-12|
||Reg. No. 67619-25|
||Reg. No. 6836-313|
||Reg. No. 777-89|
||Reg. No. 84150-1|
||Reg. No. 9480-12|
Do NOT use the following materials when cleaning/disinfecting your Touch product
- Isopropyl Alcohol at concentration > 70%
- Methyl Alcohol or Ethyl Alcohol at concentration > 35%
- Thinner or benzine
- Strong alkali lyes
- Strong solvents
- Detergents with fluoride
- Detergents with ammonia at concentration > 1.6%
- Abrasive cleaners
- Detergents with abrasives
- Formula 409
- Steel wool
- Sponges with abrasives
- Steel blades
- Cloth with steel threads
Contact Information: For technical support or help with this procedure, please call 310-999-4208 or email us.